White text on a black background!

-->

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 Resolutions Addendum !

To eat more locally, sustainably, and consciously.

I've met so many people in the past year who eat well, with consideration for the community & earth, and also for themselves. I've shared inspiring meals with vegans, vegetarians & omnivores. Fresh corn & garlic roasted in a bonfire on the beach. Lentil & winter vegetable stew before a night at the arcade. Wine grapes off the vine, and kale from the garden, baked into chips. My landlord invites me over for some of the best pizza I've tasted- baked with Willamette Valley vegetables, locally milled flour, kneaded dough, & cured ham. This past week, I made & shared bowls of vegan pho with a friend, after our 5K midnight fun run on New Year's Day. (We downed bottomless cups of coffee beforehand to keep ourselves awake until the run.) Afterwards, I crashed and slept dreamlessly- the best sleep I'd had in months. There are so many ways to eat simply & live well, to my heart --and soul's-- content.

To be more honest (more raw) about my 2013 resolutions, this is very much in line with my main resolution to target wastefulness in all areas of my life. Life is hard enough- it shouldn't be further complicated with the many small inefficiencies present-- like hobgoblins-- in our selves. I plan to cut back on my daily losses in emotion, money, time & energy. And for me, I'm finding that the way to do it is to step back & look at the bigger picture of community and environment- and to realize that it's one which isn't at all divorced from my self, but rather, intersecting with my own interests and needs. I am all that I own, but I'm not such a big deal in the broad span of things.

It starts at 8:30am everyday- with two cups of coffee &  a bowl of savory oatmeal. No packages to throw away, not much to wash afterward. Boring for sure, but I can hardly disdain a process that creates no waves, that makes me feel so predictably good every morning. It's a quick victory in my battle against spent energy, time & money.

It'll be a challenge to conquer each mealtime as it looms before me, but I have a whole year to devote to it, and many more beyond that. I grow more confident with each year that I'll find strength in myself, peace in this world, and the happiness that follows it.

No comments: