White text on a black background!

-->

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mimicry


Mimicry

Oregon
feels like nowhere within itself
And so many different places at once
Last night I found myself nowhere
And smelled the entire world over,
Boxed into one lifetime
papered and packaged for my small mind

To the northeast I picked up strands
of sticky sweet pineapple
blowing in from Taiwan
carrying the murmur of summer heat
the memory of water

Now, a cold wind blows over redwood
Calling away sweetness
And dropping off the persistent bite of time and age
The smell floats me from house to darkened house,
and I feel lost in the moment
but staid in time

The lights are off and that must smell like something too
But a cat skitters across my path
and diverts my memory of darkness
with its coarse fur
like coarse fur the world over

This morning, I felt cold sun shining down upon the dry grass on my front lawn
Just like when I was little
wearing a uniform
getting ready for school
Or walking down Olive
toward that heavy asphalt parking lot
thinking about interactions
planning out routes
Smelling the cold, dry sun on grass,
on eucalyptus
on crushed olives
with light illuminating off the oil in each dark pit.

No comments: